Monday, December 24, 2012

A Holiday Break: Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather

Books are always the best holiday gift for me. The only thing I like better than the anticipation of reading a long sought after title is the fondness that comes with remembering the discovery of an unexpected treasure.

As I look back on all the books I've profiled here in 2012, the one I'd most like to revisit is Shadows on the Rock by Willa Cather. I blogged about it back in January, but it is still very much with me. It, like all the Cather's work that I've read, is about...

...the spaces that exist between people, and how the fleeting moments of true emotional connection that people experience are pulled tenuously over those spaces, stretching into the thinnest of gossamer filaments of memory, ready to snap with the merest tug, lost forever and forgotten.

As you enjoy your holiday break, I hope you find some time to curl up with a good book. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment