Monday, May 11, 2020

Dragons - Chapter 36 (DRAFT)

“Hello?”

“Well, he’s finally to bed.”

I looked at my watch. It was almost eleven, more than three hours since Jenny and I had last spoke.

“Jacob?”

“Yes, Jacob. Your little trick worked. I let him calm down and then let him choose.”

“Did he brush his teeth?” In some ways it was like no time had passed at all.

“Yes. I let him pick which toothpaste to use. We opened the new tube I just bought at the pharmacy. It was a new flavor and he really liked it.”

Bethany had turned her head away, as if to give me some measure of privacy, but I didn’t want it. I reached out and grabbed her hand, forcing her to turn back and look at me.

“I’m glad.”

“Where are you?” Jenny asked. “I think I can hear the ocean.”

I smiled at Bethany. “I’m taking a walk on the beach,” I said, and she smiled back, exactly like we were sharing a secret.

“Nice. Throw a stone in the ocean for me.”

“It was a long day. I thought I’d try to clear my head a little before going up to bed. I’m nearly back to my hotel now.” It was fun, in a way. These lies. That’s what they were, right? Lies? They didn’t feel like lies the way they rolled off my tongue.

“Well, I’m tired, too. I was just calling because I forgot to tell you something earlier.”

“What’s that?” I said, giving Bethany’s hand a squeeze.

“Quest Partners called. They want to set-up an in-person interview.”

“What?” I said, suddenly pulling my hand away from Bethany’s and switching the phone to the other side of my head. “When?”

“This afternoon. I tried to call your cell but you must have been in the air. And then tonight with Jacob it slipped my mind.”

“No, when do they want to set-up the—” I stopped suddenly, realizing that I may not want to reveal to Bethany that I was interviewing. “When do they want to meet?”

“As soon as you’re able,” Jenny said. “They seem really interested in meeting you in person. I told them you were traveling on business and wouldn’t be back until late next week. But you should call them tomorrow if you can.”

Bethany was looking at me with great concern, and I could only imagine what she might be thinking. I tried to dismiss her with a quick shake of my head and fluttering hand. “Who? Call who?” I said intently into the phone.

“Pamela Thornsby. The woman you already spoke to. Do you have her number?”

“Yes...” I said, my free hand unconsciously patting myself down as if I would turn up Pamela’s number in one of my pockets. I had blown the phone interview with her. I was absolutely certain I had. Now she wanted a second, in-person interview. It couldn’t make any sense out of it. “Yes, I do. I’ll call her.”

“Good. If you get the chance, call me a let me know how it goes. I told you I had a good feeling about this one.”

“Okay.”

“Good night, honey. I love you.”

“I love you, too.” I said it distantly, the phone folding shut as it fell away from my face.

+ + +

“Dragons” is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. For more information, go here.

This post first appeared on Eric Lanke's blog, an association executive and author. You can follow him on Twitter @ericlanke or contact him at eric.lanke@gmail.com.

Image Source
http://lres.com/heres-why-amcs-need-to-pay-close-attention-to-looming-regulatory-changes/businessman-in-the-middle-of-a-labyrinth/

No comments:

Post a Comment