Monday, August 17, 2020

Dragons - Chapter 43 (DRAFT)

I got out of there as quickly and as discreetly as I could. I wanted to avoid any possibly incriminating conversations with the other board members, but found that, on the walk back to the convention hotel, I couldn’t avoid such a conversation with myself.

What the hell had I just done? I had told Mary what had happened, but what else? Anything? Was I any closer to dealing with the issue that Wes Howard and Amy Crawford had created for us? No, I wasn’t. In fact, it felt like I was farther away than I had been before. Previously, I hadn’t known what I was supposed to do, but was free to act in any manner that I saw fit. Now I had passed the buck to Mary, and would have to wait until at least nine-thirty before I could take any action, and then it would have to be whatever Mary determined for me. Was that what I was looking for when I marched myself over to Eleanor’s hotel? To remove any responsibility that I might have for solving the problem?

That thought stopped me dead in my tracks, Gerald’s condescending voice ringing in the ears of my recently remembered past.

Oh, Christ, Alan, how old are you? A problem like this? If you bring it to her without a solution, she’s just going to blame you for it. Don’t you even know that?

No, Gerald. I guess I don’t. Up there in the heights of Eleanor’s seventy-five dollar breakfast and seventy-five hundred dollar view, the idea that this was my problem to solve had completely slipped my mind.

+ + +

“Dragons” is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. For more information, go here.

This post first appeared on Eric Lanke's blog, an association executive and author. You can follow him on Twitter @ericlanke or contact him at eric.lanke@gmail.com.

Image Source
http://lres.com/heres-why-amcs-need-to-pay-close-attention-to-looming-regulatory-changes/businessman-in-the-middle-of-a-labyrinth/

No comments:

Post a Comment