Monday, November 13, 2023

Fart Proudly by Benjamin Franklin

This post was originally published on a now-retired blog that I maintained from roughly 2005 to 2013. As a result, there may be some references that seem out of date. 

+ + + 

This is a collection of writings by Benjamin Franklin.

I think my parents bought me this book a long time ago, as I said to my wife, in their good-hearted but sometimes uninspired way of trying to understand the things that matter to me.

The book itself was a difficult read, with a lot of material written in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way with little or no background as to what was being poked fun of.

The best item was probably something Franklin had written to instruct the British Empire on how to lose its colonies, in which he listed as instructions all the things they had already done to alienate the Americans.

The editor also had a libertarian slant that was fairly obvious in both his introduction and a final essay that he authored himself and in which he has Franklin espouse his own view about modern America.

+ + +

This post appeared on Eric Lanke's blog, an association executive and author. You can follow him on Twitter @ericlanke or contact him at eric.lanke@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment